Compuware Xpediter Review

One of the best debugging tools for mainframe software development that allows us to flow through the source and see what happens to the data

What is our primary use case?

We use it for debugging COBOL programs, either online IMS programs or Bash programs.

How has it helped my organization?

I've only been with this company for less than a year. The Compuware Suite was actually brought into the organization within the last three years, and it has really improved the way the developers manage the software.

What is most valuable?

I like the ability to flow through the source and see what happens to the data as the statements are executed. If there is a fault, it will track the event, and we can then look back to see why it may have caused the fault. You can also reverse engineer your test. You can set it so that you can go backward as well as forward in your test. This is something that I haven't done here at my company.

Compuware Xpediter is one of the best debugging tools for mainframe software development. We have currently licensed only the COBOL language for Xpediter, but I know they have other languages, including Assembler, PL/I.

What needs improvement?

Their technical support could be better. There were times where, when we reported bugs, they would fix one bug but add another one. That's probably because of their support model. A lot of organizations are developing software using Agile rather than the Waterfall method, so things are happening all over the place. You get things quicker, but sometimes one fix will break another one or add other bugs.

I have been using this solution for 25 to 30 years.

It is stable.

It scales quite well. Currently, there are three of us who use it. We're into application development.

Compuware's product support is pretty decent, but their support model can be better. I would rate them an eight out of ten.

It was fairly easy to install. It did require some assistance from database administrators for things that I wasn't authorized to do, but it was quite easy to install and configure.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Compuware Xpediter an eight out of ten. I am very satisfied with it. It is one of the best software testing and debugging tools in the industry.

17.2