Dell EMC PowerFlex Review

A good product for storage needs but the inclusion of an instrumentation feature would be helpful

What is our primary use case?

I'm an activity manager and work for a company that deals with electrical installations, assisting customers with strategy and IT investments. My job is to be well-acquainted with the various technologies and assist the customer in making the right choices. Options could include hyper-convergence, mass storage, cloud solutions, or big data solutions, those sorts of choices. It's really about explaining the different technologies and options available rather than using them. I'm not an integrator.

What needs improvement?

In terms of improvements, I think it would help to have easier access to the cost of installing VxRack infrastructure.

I think including instrumentation would be a helpful improvement. This solution is a black box solution, meaning that you don't really know how it works exactly on the inside. A feature that would include that would be helpful.

What other advice do I have?

VxRack and VxRail are more or less the same solutions. VxRack is a more powerful solution than VxRail. People need to think about which technology will work for them. My opinion is that HP Hyperconvergence is a technology that perfectly suits customers dealing with the combination of future storage needs and, at the same time, keeping up their computing power. If a customer has to juggle these two, the hyper-convergence solutions are okay. It's a good solution.

If the need for computing power is more important, we suggest that they focus more on a Software-Defined Storage solution like VMware vSAN or VMware VSA. Either way, the idea is to be able to increase infrastructure with the best efficiency as companies grow.

I would rate this product a seven out of 10.

More Dell EMC PowerFlex reviews from users
...who compared it with Cisco HyperFlex HX-Series
Find out what your peers are saying about Dell EMC, VMware, Nutanix and others in Hyper-Converged (HCI). Updated: September 2021.
535,015 professionals have used our research since 2012.