Dell EMC PowerMax NVMe Review

We consolidate a lot of various disparate storage arrays into one enterprise solution

What is our primary use case?

We run a Medicaid data warehouse on a massive enterprise Oracle shop. Therefore, we have a lot of Oracle on PowerMax. We run a big analytics for the New York State Department of Health using Oracle Big Data.

Because of the Big Data analytics, we require immense IOPS, which the PowerMax handles quite well. Our sole purpose in life is to provide endpoint analytics.

How has it helped my organization?

We consolidate a lot of various disparate storage arrays into one enterprise solution.

We primarily use Unisphere for managing and monitoring.

What is most valuable?

Enterprise Cloud Storage is the most valuable feature, along with the data services which come with it, plus the deduplication and compression.

What needs improvement?

We are very interested in NVMe over Fibre Channel, which I understand is on the horizon. We would like to see that come to fruition in its ability to traverse the Fibre Channel SAN.

We've been using VMAX, PowerMax, and Symmetrix for many years.

The solution is rock solid.

It is a solid platform.

The technical support is very good. We have the ESRS call-home function, and it's been rock solid since day one.

I have always used Symmetrix and VMAX. Then, it was just a natural progression into the PowerMax solution.

The initial setup is very straightforward. We had a team come in and get everything setup. It was handled very professionally. We had a project manager assigned to the account. It was very smooth.

We used the PowerPath solution for the migration, which allowed us to seamlessly migrate from one storage array to another.

We have impeccable uptime in our data center with very strict SLAs. We have had zero downtime.

We run a big Oracle shop, as well as VMware, which is very high performing. It exceeds our needs.

Our costs for the product are three million.

We looked at Hitachi and NetApp, but it really boiled down to our relationship with Dell EMC and the portfolio of the product.

This solution’s architecture influenced our buying decision because of all the data services incorporated, especially the LAN technology. This allows us to replicate from one site to another.

What other advice do I have?

Our SLAs are extremely tight, and we've had zero issues. I would highly advise going with the PowerMax.