Dell EMC PowerMax NVMe Review

The brick scalability allows us to add smaller quantities and still get quality performance

What is our primary use case?

We use it for all entitled storage on back-end hospital systems, VMware, and Citrix.

We will be putting the hospital HR system on it, because we need it to be fast, efficient, and always up. PowerMax will provide this solution for us.

How has it helped my organization?

We are able to provide storage at the right service levels without overmanaging it.

Data is helping us have the performance, so they can do their reporting in the hospitals every day. They are able to maintain with the compression longer.

What is most valuable?

• Its uptime
  • Dedupe
  • Compression
  • Reliability

What needs improvement?

It would be nice if there was a training course offered by Dell EMC. It would help us use the product.

It is very stable. We have no concerns.

The brick scalability solution is very nice. It allows us to add smaller quantities and still get quality performance.

The technical support is lacking. We are working with Dell EMC to get some better understanding of this.

Currently, we have a VPLEX with multiple storage arrays behind it. Now, we will be moving to one storage array and getting rid of the rest.

The performance requirements for the Diamond Levels on certain areas, we wanted submillisecond response times. We are still working with our buyer to get this to fruition based on some of our workloads.

The initial setup is very straightforward because it is All-Flash. We are now looking at maximizing the performance features.

We are still working with our integrator on the deployment since the VMAX is relatively new in the industry that I am working in. We are still working on improving our experience, as they lacked experience in the PowerMax.

The migration process of the VMAX to PowerMax is ongoing. Because we have a VPLEX, it is causing more complexity than if it had been just VMAX to VMAX.

What other advice do I have?

Ensure whomever you work with knows the solution and you get feedback from other customers.

It has good performance and speed, but it is still lacking in training and knowledge.

We are only using Unisphere of the performance management and monitoring tools, as we are not that familiar with the other ones available.