Dell EMC XtremIO Flash Review

Flash array with deduplication and compression. I would like to see improvements in the database workloads.

What is most valuable?

Flash array with deduplication and compression.

How has it helped my organization?

• Helps VDI users for business growth
  • Provides good performance
  • Cost effective
  • For the VDI environment, deduplication is effective. The OS deployed will have the same data again.
  • Flash provides good performance

What needs improvement?

I would like to see improvements in the database workloads. During the testing of database workloads, we found it slow to process I/O requests. This may be due to the compression/deduplication feature available in the product which is still being taken care of by the same controllers.

The product designer should provide a recommendation for which type of workload deduplication/compression will be effective.

This is good to have for VDI, but not for high database workloads though its flash array.

We have been using this solution for the past two years.

There were some stability issues initially, but there aren’t many issues now.

I did not encounter any issues with scalability.

Technical support is good.

We had multiple tier storage without deduplication/compression. We switched due to cost and performance.

The solution is easy to implement and administer.

What other advice do I have?

This solution is good for VDI environments, but not recommended for database workloads.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are partners.