Dell EMC XtremIO Flash Review

Provides Integrated Copy Data Management. I would like to see an integration of the management server.

What is most valuable?

• Integrated Copy Data Management (iCDM): It allows instant creation of high performance copies by accelerating the environmental testing with no need for redoing builds. A duplicate copy can be spawned up for DEV- trunk/ Integration/Test with QA.
  • Virtual Desktop infrastructure (VDI): Where one consolidated infrastructure that leverages off resources can act as a baseline and be locked down with a secure image to all call center agents.
  • Rapid Inline Deduplication/ Compression: Helps capacity planning to reduce the amount of SAN needed. Prevents the deduplication of the same data. This can allow ratios of 2:1, or even as high as 7:1, depending upon what data subsets are used.

How has it helped my organization?

• Utilizing the snapshot technology, (recovery point), has been great for development.
  • Inline data reduction using deduplication and/or compression has improved batch times for one of our PostgreSQL database environments.

What needs improvement?

• The management server needs to be integrated. XtremIO VNX and VMAX have separate management software stacks for managing the various arrays.
  • We would also like to see one universal management view into all these sub-systems. For example, IBM SVC and Pure Storage Purity each have one universal software management view.

I have used it for just over three years.

The earlier version before Version 4.0 had several stability issues. It is now more stable, albeit not 100%.

There were no scalability issues.

I would give technical support a rating of 6/10.

We have a two vendor approach with HDS and EMC.

The initial setup was straightforward, providing that the correct code levels were applied before initializing.

When considering pricing and licensing issues, note the following:

• The 8192 volume limit
  • Snapshots count as logical volume
  • Every replicated snapshot also counts

We evaluated Pure Storage, but on a FA-420 controller.

What other advice do I have?

A testing and integration PoC needs to be done with full diligence.