Dell XC Appliance Review

Turnkey solution with low management costs that is easy to use

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is to run all of our production workloads, which are file servers, databases, web servers, and front ends. It's running everything.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the low management overhead, and the lower skill set required to manage it.

All of the additional management tools plug into vCenter, which is our standard virtualization interface for VMware. It has the vRealize Operations Manager, which is the management and the monitoring suite that's available from VMware. This is all incorporated into the product. It's a turnkey solution.

What needs improvement?

The cost of using the public cloud deployment is astronomical.

I have been using this particular product for a couple of months.

We didn't need to contact technical support. We had Dell support on-site setting up and implementing the solution for us.

We did not have any problems with the initial setup because we hired Dell ProDeploy services to install this solution and get it running.

Deployment was approximately two months from start to finish, and that included the high-level design, racking and stacking, the testing, and the migration of workloads.

We used Dell ProDeploy services to deploy this solution for us.

We are getting time back to other things because we are not having to look after the infrastructure, as we have had to do in the past.

We received a good price from Dell. Pricing was pretty much the same apart from the pricing for the public cloud it was astronomical.

Other than licensing fees, we had to pay for our equipment. We calculated that our TCO  is going to be lower with this solution than it was with our traditional three-tier architecture.

We looked at Nutanix, NetApp, Public Cloud, and another product called Datrium.

What other advice do I have?

We did a lot of research ahead of time with this solution to make sure that it was stable, scalable, had a good interface, was easy to use, and that it had good technical support.

I don't have enough time with the solution to know what areas need to be improved. When I have run into some difficulties, Dell has let me know that those have been addressed and instruct me or direct me to where I can find and enable certain functions.

These functions are there, but with my inexperience, I didn't know they were there.

I haven't found things that are missing yet.

It's a single driver update that reduces management costs.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Private Cloud