Devo Review

Versatile, scalable, and has a very useful single user interface

What is our primary use case?

We are primarily using the solution as a cloud observability platform.

Most use cases are related to service operations, not security operations. This is due to the fact that in security operations our company uses Splunk and other platforms. In this case, in my team, we are using Devo for service operations requirements. We correlate across metrics and trace on that data to understand root causes. For example, we'll look at metrics in jobs, time processes, root cause investigations where we have fails, job performance, deals, payments, et cetera.

What is most valuable?

With Devo, you integrate and run as a fully managed service. We are very interested in the total of severability for IT and the organization all in a one user interface. With Devo, all analysis is done in a graphical user interface. That gives our analysts the confidence to investigate a problem and fix it.

For example, we can have a lot of matrices and trace data in a single user interface. We can eliminate swivel chair analysis among tools for a streamlined workflow that gives us the most direct path to the root course.

Devo provides great structural data. Its business-rich data set means better, smarter machine learning and this leads to a smarter analysis of anomalies and a stronger predictive analysis.

Devo, unlike other vendors, doesn't charge extra for playbooks and automation.

It's very, very versatile.

Service Operations is a tool inside the product. It offers a constant standard with advanced machine learning. The Devo machine learning workbench also enables you to bring in your own custom-built machine learning models. This is very interesting for us.

What needs improvement?

I need more empowerment in reporting. For example, when I'm using Qlik or Power BI in terms of reporting for the operations teams they also need analytics. They also need to report to the senior management or other teams. The reporting needs to be customized. You can build some widgets in terms of analytics and representations, however, I want to export these dashboards or these widgets in a PDF file. While you can explore everything as a PDF, it's not very complete. I am missing some customization capabilities in order to build a robust, meaningful report.

The initial setup is a little complex.

Technical support could be better.

There do seem to be quite a few bugs within the version we are using.

In the next update, I'd like it if they explain more about the Devo framework. The Devo framework is a tool inside the product. It's a prototype. It is a tool that provides to the customer a map of processes or a workflow, for example, with an HTML application with a front end. My understanding is that each component of this front attaches data with the queries. It might be customized. I'd like to generally understand this better.

I'd like to understand DevoFlow. Up to now, usage could send data to the platform, retrieve it and enrich it by generating graphs and analytics. However, it's my understanding that Flow provides users the ability to process the data in real-time by defining complex workflows as soon as data arrives in the platform so that you can make analytics in a sequence. I'd like to better understand these new capabilities.

I've been working with the solution for one and a half to two years or so.

At this moment I consider the solution to be stable. However, I find that I perform any little fixes throughout a project. There are bugs here and there that I do contend with. I'd prefer to have these fixed as opposed to having to install a whole new version.

In the beginning, there were not more than 20 to 25 users. However, our objective remains to get 100 people on the product. We add them little by little due to the nature of our projects.

In terms of scalability, it's a product well-focused on expansion. As a SaaS, they provide you more architecture, more machines in terms of performance, et cetera. We're quite happy with its capability to expand.

Technical support needs to be more direct. For example, when we submit a ticket, the support team will delegate a task to the operations team, for example, or various other teams. This muddles the transparency. We're unsure as to who is in charge of fixing the problem. I simply want an answer to my problem and I want them to fix it and tell me what is wrong. I don't need to know it was sent here, there, or there. We are not 100% satisfied with the level of service provided to us.

The initial setup was a little bit complex, however, we had great support from the Devo team. We are using the public cloud - not on-premise. They provided us the infrastructure. The complexity was mostly around how to build the VPN securitization, the tunnel, as this tunnel was built by us, not by Devo. We, therefore, had to build a lot of technical tests of communications. This was complex.

With Devo, we have to connect by LLDP protocol. For example, Devo at the beginning shows the users as an email and a password. In our company, we needed to connect this mechanism of access to our own mechanism of the corporation. We had to deal with the protocol of connectivity of users, FSAA, for example. Sometimes this was difficult and we had to make a lot of test connections, et cetera.

There isn't too much maintenance required. Devo provides the product. I have to ensure that the mechanism of communication is stable and in continuous service. Our VPN with the tunnel is the responsibility of us while the persistence of data and the performance of searching data representation is the responsibility of Devo.

Devo assisted us with the implementation process.

Devo, like other vendors, doesn't charge extra for playbooks and automation. That way, you are only paying for the side on the data ingestion. If you sign a contract, you are able to process as much as 500 gigabytes per day. With this price, you can connect 10 people, 20 people, 18 people, 80 people - it's very good. It's very efficient in terms of the cost of the license.

Depending on if you are ingesting more than you sign up for, you have to pay more. There is potential for extra costs only in this one aspect, and not in the other services, or in other people who connect to the product.

Devo provides you professional services. Professional services is a manner to give service to the clients in terms of consultants. Expert consultants help the customer to design the business case and can show them how to build it. This is an extra option, for people who want to take advantage of their insights.

I have done a lot of assessments with Devo against other products such as Elasticsearch, Kibana, Splunk, and Datadog, among others.

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers and end-users.

We are using the most recent version of the product.

We are using Devo in a public cloud with some other web service we have secured with a VPN built in the company so that it's tunnel secured.

I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten. If the solution required fewer fixes and was a bit more flexible, I would rate it higher.

More Devo reviews from users
...who compared it with Splunk
See Devo in Action

See how Devo allows you to free yourself from data management, and make machine data and insights accessible.

Learn what your peers think about Devo. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
479,894 professionals have used our research since 2012.