Dome9 Review

A powerful solution for our clients to effectively deal with problems unique to AWS

What is our primary use case?

We have been researching this solution as something to provide for clients who are interested in implementing a high-security AWS environment.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution provides some security around holes that are uniquely present on AWS. We try to convey to clients and customers that when you move to AWS, the whole attack surface is different, and therefore you can't take your existing tools to AWS and then secure it in the same way as you can your traditional environment. You need to have tools that understand the nuance of AWS, and that's the reason we use Dome9. It has these unique skills and attributes in the AWS world.

Specifically, we are interested in securing IAM. It controls everything in AWS such as who can create computing instances and who can destroy them. Given that all of the power is with IAM, you have to make sure that you haven't over-privileged, or through the combination of people being users, groups, or roles, that they haven't collected too many privileges that you weren't aware of.

What is most valuable?

The feature that I found most valuable is the ability to scan IAM, the Identity and Access Management tool, for all of the privileged accounts.

What needs improvement?

Integration with other security tools would be of benefit.

I would like to see some AI on the back-end, just to assist with doing analysis and making recommendations.

Trial / evaluation.

The stability is rock solid.

I have no concerns with the scalability of this solution.

Technical support for this solution is excellent.

We did not use another solution prior to this one.

This solution is easy to get going, although it requires a lot of training to get the best out of it.

It took us weeks to set it up, which was very quick. In terms of setting it up for a client, the strategy would depend on what holes they have in their security infrastructure, and how we can use this solution to close them.

We implemented the solution in-house and would assume this role for our customers.

This is the sort of tool for which ROI is not really considered. People implementing this solution are concerned with addressing a significant risk, and within the AWS realm, this tool does de-risk substantially.

It is a standard licensing fee, with no additional costs.

We evaluated another solution called Evident.io, but it had a lot of overlap with traditional tools, whereas Dome9 was unique in its approach.

What other advice do I have?

This is a product that I would recommend because it does unique things that I'm not aware any other product can solve those issues. It is incredibly powerful and gives our customers a lot of assurance that we're taking AWS security seriously.

My advice for those implementing this product is to use every piece of it. Explore every option and feature and leverage it to the max.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.