DxEnterprise Review

Learning curve when moving from PolyServe is very low. I would refrain from using DxTransfer for moving databases & jobs

Valuable Features

Failover and clustering of SQL Server instances

Improvements to My Organization

It allowed us to have redundant servers for our SQL instances so in the event of system failure, we would only be down for a few minutes while things failed over

Room for Improvement

Better messages from system on errors and warnings. Better error logging in the DxTransfer tool.

Use of Solution

over a year

Deployment went fairly smoothly. The biggest issue was that it used a different filesystem than PolyServe so we needed to move all of the data from the PolyServe File System (PFS) to the Melio File System (MFS). This was a very slow process and resulted in a lot of overtime as you need to turn off a SQL instance in order to move the databases.

Update - With the new DxEnterprise, you no longer need a fancy file system. We have NTFS set up now and failing over is even faster than with Melio.

Stability seems fairly good so far. Once things were configured properly, stability seems pretty good unless 3 of our 4 servers hosting the software go down. One server cannot nicely handle all of our SQL instances. But that is a server resource issue, not a DxConsole issue.

Update - We had stability issues with Melio, but since switching to DxEnterprise and using NTFS instead of Melio, we are more than happy. No stability issues at all.

Scalability seems to work quite nicely. Very similar to PolyServe.

Customer service has been excellent so far. Response times are very prompt.

Technical support has been very helpful. Any issues we ran into, they were able to help with or correct in a very quick manner.

PolyServe is what we used previously and we switched because we wanted a system that offered full support. PolyServe was forum-based support due to the product approaching EOL.

The initial setup was very straightforward. The installation is pretty much a "click next next next install" then once installed you enter your serial number and are good to go. If you have used PolyServe before, the software is very easy to configure. It uses similar terms for things and has very similar features.

Update - Upgrading from DxConsole to DxEnterprise was very easy. Upgrading from DxDev to DxEnterprise was a bit more bumpy, but even that was pretty easy to do.

Implementation Team

We implemented In-house.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

I am unsure on the original setup cost but the day to day cost is very low. We have email alerts set up on the system and unless all 4 servers go down at once, we will get email notifications on issues. Therefore I only really touch the system when it tells me something is wrong.

Update - Since upgrading to DxEnterprise and removing Melio, maintenance costs in hours are basically nothing. It has been a few months since we have needed to contact support and that was more just a heads-up that we were starting an update from DxConsole to DxEnterprise. We have had no need to contact Support since upgrading.

Other Solutions Considered

We didn't really evaluate other options as this product seemed to meet our needs and seemed to be very similar to our existing system.

Other Advice

If you have used PolyServe and are looking for an alternate before it is EOL, I strongly recommend DxConsole. The learning curve for those who have used PolyServe is very low and the system works great. I would refrain from using DxTransfer for moving databases and jobs, but it works nice for moving users. There is a new version of DxTransfer, but we have not had need to use it since we set up our systems.

Update - I strongly encourage people to upgrade from DxConsole to DxEnterprise. It works a lot better, is more stable and has much faster failovers. On top of that it has extra features not available in DxConsole.

2 visitors found this review helpful
1 Comment
Freelance Technology Writer, Journalist, Editor at a writing and editing positionReal User

Did you not find any alternatives in the market to DxEnterprise for MSFT containers?

22 December 15