EDB Postgres Advanced Server Review

This enterprise database solution is practically free but lacks security options that would mke it more useful

What is our primary use case?

I am responsible for our database products. We use these solutions only on-premises because our government has placed restrictions on our type of organization. The EDB Postgress Advanced Server is something we use for simple database projects on linux.

How has it helped my organization?

This product has allowed us to reduce costs in some parts of our infrastructure without losing functionality.

What is most valuable?

The part of the product that I find most valuable is using it only for small tables and databases that are not very complex. That is all we need it for although it is also valuable because of the low cost.

What needs improvement?

The product comes in two forms. One is the full enterprise version which comes with some type of product support. This is something you have to pay additional for but the cost is not very much. The other version of the product is a completely free database product, but it only comes with community support. The full product with support is not very expensive because this is an open-source product developed by the community.  For a transaction system that only needs to take many requests, it can be a good solution.

What I would like to see to improve the product in the future are some changes to the security policies. What I mean more specifically is that if we compare Enterprise database products security features and Postgres security features, Postgres is maybe 5 years behind Enterprise database products in development. Enterprise database products has many more security features. For example, Enterprise database products can act as a firewall and it has a stronger buffer policy with many rules. Postgres does not have the capability to have very strong policy rules in place. It has only two or three basic rules for buffer policies and it has some stateless protocol and that is all. There are not enough options for stronger security.

The lack of additional security features is really the thing that makes the product less useful.

I have been using the product for between two and three years.

I think that the stability of the solution is very good. It is a very stable solution.

For the purposes that we use the product for it has expected scalability. In our situation, we will not use this database, as far as I know, to work in a cluster. For what we use the system for, it just performs like a normal database. It is working on an x86 processor and we don't need it to do more. We do not have any problem with scalability. So we are satisfied with it.

I am not exactly sure how many users are using this solution through our company and deployments. This solution is used to process some kinds of requests from our customers. I think we have used this solution for some of our internet banking. It is probably as many as one million users registered in the system and probably eight or ten TPS (transactions per second) for the database.

We have just two DBAs from our side doing the maintenance of this solution.

We have contacted technical support in the past, but it is mostly if we need some additional information about things we had not done before with the product previously. We ask the question, they give the answers and that is all.

As far as I know, we have not had any serious issues with the product before which were the reason we contacted support. We just ask questions to get answers.

The products we used most before Postgres were Enterprise database products. Of course, we are still using Enterprise database products, but we started using Postgres because it was cheaper and it could do what we needed it to in certain applications.

The initial setup for Advanced Server is pretty easy. With our experienced DBAs, our deployment only takes about one day maximum.

We do not use a vendor or other contractor. We deploy the product with our own team.

The cost of the product is not really a question because the open-source product itself is free. The only cost in addition that we pay more for is the support payment because we have the enterprise usage and that is all.

What other advice do I have?

The only advice I have for people considering implementing this Postgres Advanced Server solution is that it is cheap and can save money. It was a good lesson to learn that we could save money by working with Postgres. It reduces our costs when we are not implementing some bigger, more demanding software solutions.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate this product as an eight.