EMC Data Domain Review

Upgrades are very smooth and support has been great. We also looked at ExaGrid and Quantum

Valuable Features

Very easy to setup and Data Replication for off-site storage of data.

Improvements to My Organization

Data restores and recoveries are so much faster and easier that before, we never have to wait to recall a tape from off-site storage; More Disaster Recovery options allows us to have a better DR process; We were able to remove all TAPEs from our environment.

Room for Improvement

Based on how we use the product, it does everything we need it to do.

Use of Solution

We have been using the Data Domain product since 2008.

We encountered no issues during deployment. Their technical support is great and the product is very simple to manage.

Stability of the Data Domain has never been an issue. They have been rock solid since we have used them. One time we had one of our Data Domains down for 4 days because of a hardware issue. Once the Data Domain was repaired and came back on-line the system picked up right where it left off. It automatically started to replicate all of the data between its replication partner and re-synced the data without any actions on my part.

When we had to add more storage to the Data Domain, adding another shelf of storage was very easy and non-disruptive. When you reach the capacity limit of the model you are using, then you will need to upgrade to another model with more capacity. But moving the backups to point to the new Data Domain is very easy.

Customer Service: Data Domains customer support is very good. We have always received prompt responses to anything we have needed.Technical Support: Their technical support is top notch. They are very responsive and the support personnel are very knowledgeable. The Call Home support for their product usually has already opened a support case for us before I know there is a problem.

The setup is very easy. We had it up and running the same day it was installed.

Implementation Team

We had the vendor work with us to install and setup the systems. Their level of expertise was very good. If the person I was working with did not know something he was able to get with his team and resolve anything quickly.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

With any duplication product, the initial cost is not cheap. But, once the Data Domain was setup, it just runs. I have very little to no day-to-day maintenance tasks other that monitoring for alerts, which it sends an email to notify me if anything has alerted.

Other Solutions Considered

For our Technology Refresh we looked at three different vendors, Data Domain, ExaGrid, and Quantum.

Other Advice

Make sure you setup the Data Domains to use Active Directory authentication. When you are replicating your data to a replication pair, this will make using the replicated data easier to access from the off-site location. If you do not use AD and setup the same account on all of your Data Domains, then you will be using a local account on each Data Domain. The permissions on each side of the replication are for a different user SID even if the users are the same name. So when you try to access the replicated data with the same named local account, since the SID is different, you do not have access to the data without making the local account an “Administrator” on the Data Domain which is not a good idea.