EMC VNX [EOL] Review

It's easy to use and integrate, but they need to make major changes to the file services.

Valuable Features

It's easy to use, and integrate, I'm not storage-centric, as I just integrate storage along with other things. I can go in there and follow instructions to complete the job. I know all products are different, especially how they’re all clustered differently. For me, I don’t care because not looking at raw data or specifications (e.g. how many SSDs, how tiered), I just follow instructions for the virtualization aspect.

Improvements to My Organization

It’s one of the better industry-accepted names and standards. Not necessarily cheap, but for me it’s all about familiarity. I've worked with this type of storage for many years.

Room for Improvement

Make major changes to the file services, Celera, do something like a lite version. It used to be more solid product before unifying Clarion and Celera.

It’s very stable in all the years I've worked with it. I know it’s stable and the support is there.

It’s definitely scalable. VNX to large SAN with SDD to all with extra storage for VDI, they’re all hugely scalable. You can keep adding blocks of storage for different tiers, as well as sites of storage, with other products (replicated with backups).

All experiences with tech support have been positive. It was never problem with product itself, mostly configuration issue caused by the integrator or client. They worked through it.

I was always second fiddle as there was always a network person and virtualization person and a storage person. It's always straightforward in terms of everyone following plan and working together. The end result is always the operational system being delivered.

Other Solutions Considered

• NetApp
  • Dell

Research stuff that’s been proven, and what you can afford.