EMC VNX [EOL] Review

FAST doesn't require configuration and is managed by the array itself.

How has it helped my organization?

It has a simple-to-manage GUI and provides very good performance for the load-intensive applications. Also, the data tiering capabilities are good.

What is most valuable?

• FAST (auto-tiering): Doesn't require configuration and is managed by the array itself.
  • SNAP feature: Takes only 10% of the space, an improvement compared to the earlier space utilization with RLPs.
  • NAS: Using CIFS, NFS, and mixed mode shares is not as cumbersome as when compared with NetApp.

What needs improvement?

The processing speeds of the Xeon controllers and scalability options are areas with room for improvement:

• Intel Xeon processors with under 2 GHz processing speeds could be replaced with more recent ones.
  • Also, the scalability (connectivity between racks; daisy-chaining made more robust - basically, loops of 8 DAEs to be enhanced).

We had no stability issues. Bug fixes are released from time to time and uptime performance with best practices is guaranteed.

We encountered scalability as it is limited by backend slots, and NAS performance is significantly reduced when scaling.

Technical support has superb response times and expertise.

We did not previously use a different solution.

The architecture is fairly simple; hence, the setup has never been complex.

Before choosing, we looked at EVA from HPE and Compellent from Dell.

What other advice do I have?

It is a good product with a simple setup and easy administration.

The product is simple to install and manage. (It has a better GUI compared to others, with performance monitoring embedded within.)

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are a partner.