Experian Data Quality Review
Fast in taking unstructured data, processing it and spitting out all the different data types. The team moved to SSIS/SSRS, I suspect it didn’t fit in with the goal of creating a data warehouse.

Valuable Features

The usual data cleansing: The suggestions it made for data formats (size, type, etc.) especially, and how quick it was. It was very fast in taking unstructured data, processing it and spitting out all the different data types, all the likely problem areas like errors and suggesting alternatives.

Improvements to My Organization

The product was dropped not long after I left the organization, I was told. The data team I was on moved to SSIS/SSRS, I heard. I suspect it didn’t fit in with the over-all goal of creating a data warehosue as quickly as possible. My manager (a non-techy) thought it would spit out a data warehouse with clean data at the other end. His fault. It was never going to do that.

Room for Improvement

The manual calculations and formulae. They were a bit complex. The formulae were a bit abstract. Not easy to understand. Not intuitive. I sat beside an SSIS guru and he took one look at them and said “Good luck Geoff”. I coded them all and after I left, I got a call from a techy there asking me what they were all about! He hadn’t a clue how to unravel them, even with documentation. Also, they managed to accidentally delete them all. No idea how they did that. After a few panic-filled phone calls, they dropped the whole thing. It was a mess there. Glad I left.

Use of Solution

I used this on a contract back in 2015. Never used it before or since. I used it for 3-4 months.

I have not encountered any stability issues. It seems very stable.

I have not encountered any scalability issues. It handled the data space they had there at that organisation very well.

Technical support is patchy. The IT trainer who came up was very good and he handled a lot of support issues after it was bought, but when we rang the help desk, they just deferred to him every single time and we weren’t his only client.

I did not previously use a different solution.

The IT trainer from Experian handled all of the initial setup. It was smooth.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

It is way, way over-priced in my opinion. There was a political storm in the organisation when it was bought. I for one didn’t think they needed it, but I am only a contractor with no say in these matters.

Other Advice

It is excellent for data profiling. I felt the calculations were a bit overly complex but over-all a very good product and very visual with good stats.

Be absolutely certain and clear what you want it for. My manager hadn’t a clue. He thought it was just a big red button labelled “Press Here to Create a Data Warehouse...”.