FileMaker Review

The Mercedes Benz of DB management and development with easy user and developer access

What is most valuable?

Secure server client network. Scripting is a gem and the engine behind many of my seemingly complicated but actually simple solutions.

How has it helped my organization?

Quality management runs through a collaborative platform. Many user defined levels and entries offer a excellent user interface ('web like') and outputs are tailor made for each management level incorporating reports, graphs, exports and links to communications.

What needs improvement?

It is expensive to run a client server set up in a large corporation due to the requirement to purchase individual licences, thus changing to JS or similar web based programming is tempting...However FM remains very easy to develop without need for a large IT team. Dynamic field presentation on the front end is lacking and requires roundabout scripting.

10 years, started with version 5

FM is nearly an out of the box solution. As our solution grew over the years we have had to go back and redesign a number of solutions to avoid system lag. Bit this is inherent to all systems.

FM is extremely stable,

1. Finance: any expansion requires new licences

Customer Service: We work from Asia and support is particular poor. We rely on our IT team. That said, FM IS EXTREMELY STABLETechnical Support: Asia does not have great support

The battle between MS Access and FM is, in my opinion, easily won by FM.

Simple

We set up in-house. Skills required were simple client server networking.

We now run one server and 50 clients; Our running costs are minimal. At some stage we will move to FM12: as it has limited reverse compatibility it will require a total overhaul; with excellent new JS node etc languages and solutions becoming available, we may ADD this to our solutions

At the time we reviewed FoxPro, Access. Now we would include any JS development in the discussion, however this would require expert IT support.

What other advice do I have?

It is a great starter to commence with in the world of database management, even if you have limited development knowledge and is a sure bet for professional and long term expansion. Plenty of support and documentation out there.