FireMon Review

The normalization of the rule sets across different firewall platforms is valuable. Version 8 wasn't ready for prime time.

What is most valuable?

Holistically, the product is well thought out. The normalization of the rule sets across different firewall platforms is all valuable to us. You can't really separate it out; for me, you can’t.

How has it helped my organization?

I can mention high-level stuff. Basically, it gives us visibility that we were lacking; having everything being able to be viewed in one pane of glass. Instead of having to go jumping all over the place into the different platforms, you can use the tool to get a single pane of glass view.

It's not a jack-of-all-trades product; it's very focused. It does what it does and it does it well. We use it that way. Basically, that's the reason we obtained it. That's what we use it for: to normalize the platforms all into one single view. A place for us to do our analysis, review of rules and things of that sort.

What needs improvement?

I can mention a ton of areas with room for improvement, but from a high-level standpoint, I just don't think version 8 was ready for prime time, yet. They're still working on it. There are still major swaths of the tool that need attention. To get into the details, I would have to engage my engineers.

We've had it in our portfolio since July of 2013.

We have not encountered any stability issues with the product itself. It's been easy to maintain, to upgrade and to do all of the support work for it. There hasn't been an issue with that at all.

We have not encountered any scalability issues. We haven't run into a limitation yet.

Any time we've engaged technical support for assistance, we've come away with a resolution, so the only thing that we've had difficulty with is programming or making fixes that require coding. That sometimes can take a little while.

Technical support is at least 8/10.

We did not previously use a different solution. This was the first firewall management platform that we've used, except for the built-in, out-of-the-box tool that came with the platform.

Initial setup was all pretty straightforward. You stand up your platform, get your database ready to go, and that all happens out of the box. Then, you start to populate it with your devices. It's all pretty straightforward.

Before choosing this product, we also evaluated Tufin and AlgoSec.

What other advice do I have?

Just like any other IT product on the market today, everything is green grass and high tides. Everything is beautiful. During the sales process, it's all, "Oh, just do this, do that." It's a little more than that. It's a little more complex and a little more effort than just, plug it in and go.

I think that's the mistake of many of the sales teams; that they sell the ease of implementation. I think they should just be straight up and honest with the purchaser, saying, "Look, it's going to take some effort and you're going to have to understand your environment. You're going to have to understand the network flows. You're going to have to understand how your network is segmented, so you can properly implement the tool."

I think when they try to make it seem easier than it really is, then that's inviting problems.

FireMon is just better than average. It's better than average, but not quite stellar yet. They've got a little work to do to address some of the challenges that could be introduced perhaps by the customer and the way the customer has used the different platforms. They have to be able to account for that, and react to it in a timely manner; at least come up with some sort of usable solution in the meantime when they do encounter a problem.

1 Comment
author avatarFireMon Customer Success Manager at FireMon

Thank you for providing your detailed feedback on FireMon Security Manager. We truly appreciate the investment of your time to post a review.

In regards to your statement about FireMon version 8, not ready for prime time, there have been quite a few version 8 revisions released to address stability issues and improve performance. The most recent version released is FireMon 8.15. Hopefully your organization has the latest version installed to take advantage of the performance improvements and new features.