FortiCache [EOL] Review

Has high-availability for managing web caching, filtering and security through a user-friendly interface

What is our primary use case?

In general, I use it to make a DMZ zone and protect our servers with the firewall. We also use it for web filtering access to some websites to reduce the use of our bandwidth.

What is most valuable?

The fact that it is easy-to-use with a nice graphical interface is probably my favorite feature. Also, because it is a popular product, I can find many assorted company websites and information about how to configure the components and make the best use of the product.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes when we are using FortiCache with high availability, some problems occur. If the first firewall goes down, sometimes the second firewall does not come up immediately. It only happens sometimes. This issue should be fixed. It is really the only issue I have had with Fortigate.

What I would like to see included in future releases is already available in FortiCache, but you currently need a license. It is a wireless controller for the Fortigate firewall. It should be included.

We have been using the product since 2014. So it has been about six years.

After some configuration issues were corrected, it has been stable. I have used it for more than five years now without having any trouble.

It is scalable. We have around 160 users using FortiCache within our company. The user-base is a mix between some IT people for management, engineers, and admin. Some are other users who in common are using this firewall as part of operations.

One time I did have to contact technical support when the high availability setup failed to work. I was satisfied with their services because they found something wrong in the configuration that did not agree with the network setup. So they fixed it using a hotfix file and send it to me right away by email.

The setup is a little bit complex in my case because I have a Multi VLAN. Because of that, I found that it is a bit complicated to configure it. This may not be the case for a different type of architecture.

For the implementation, I had some help from consultants. The installation went down for a bit and after that, I called some consultants to help me with a private consultation.

The licensing costs are priced on a yearly basis. We do not have to pay any additional fees for technical support or additional features for our usage level.

What other advice do I have?

Based on my experience, I would give people considering this solution the advice to work with Fortigate. It is a newer technology. It can manage Multi VLANs and you can manage DMZ zones by using an easy end-user GUI interface.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate FortiCache overall as an eight-out-of-ten.