Helix ALM Review

Helps you measure, automate, and visualize your processes

What is our primary use case?

Helix ALM enables users to build, make efficient and effective decisions, and use least-cost methods for maximum benefit, as fast as possible. They allow you to see and visualize your configuration.

What is most valuable?

I would say that Helix ALM's greatest value is that it allows you to have a clear view of your current configuration and dependencies backward tested. If you have to have backward compatibility, it allows you to see that. It also allows you to explore new branches for optimization going forward. It would be a great match for integrating decision trees.

What needs improvement?

It would be great to see Perforce's strategy is for implementing intelligence into the process via AI or ML. It's not clearly defined, at least not to my knowledge.

There're other platforms that do essentially the same thing. You can go to a math lab and say here's a big library of mathematical tools that you can plug into your process. I do process definition and configuration management; these two areas combined with AI ML would be a killer application.

Because algorithms don't get sick, they just spit out answers and if you can't interrogate the data, then you need to look at it harder. And that's what it's all about. Its continuous improvement and, nonstop excellence. If you look at what grows hyper-scale environments, it's just that. Hyper-scale environments such as, Amazon and Google and all the big platforms. That's what it takes, basically non-stop improvement.

I have three years of experience with Helix ALM.

I would describe my impressions of the stability of the product as undetermined. I haven't found any holes yet. I have found areas of improvement, but heck, it's software so they could develop it. I haven't found holes yet specifically because I'm not looking to improve their product. I'm only trying to take what they have to help other people solve their problems. I'm not functioning just to improve the product, I'm functioning to help customers use Helix ALM to solve their problems.

I don't deal with them directly, but I would rate them as adequate.

What you can't measure, you can't optimize. Helix ALM helps you measure, automate, and visualize your processes. It's a great tool to model and optimize. It also keeps your configuration from falling out of alignment with multiple groups.

The product requires a clear understanding of what you want to do because it's a make environment. So it's like handing an artist a blank sheet with any color in any pallet or any paintbrush you want. They have examples, so in the hands of an expert, you can create great products. The only advice would be is understand what you want to do and how you get there using Perforce and then I would recommend using MBSE development methodologies.

Find out what your peers are saying about Perforce, Atlassian, IBM and others in Application Requirements Management. Updated: September 2021.
536,114 professionals have used our research since 2012.