HelpSystems Intermapper Review

Provides entire network level connectivity diagram which suits our needs perfectly

What is our primary use case?

The solution is a network representation of the entire L2 level network diagrams, and it also gives notification triggers as to how we want to monitor the network diagramming, which is one of the uses we have for it. The second use is for all our application and network performance monitoring. We want to have the network level connectivity diagram, the architecture, know how the networks are connected, how the ports are interconnected and want to have a visual representation of our network. That is our core objective.

I work as the Head of IT, Engineering and Infrastructure in our company and we are a customer of HelpSystems.

What is most valuable?

The solution has a couple of features which are really interesting. It's not a fancy or expensive solution but we wanted to have a cost effective one and it's doing its job pretty well. We wanted to have the whole network connectivity diagram. It shows the color coding, where the connectivity is green, for example. If there's a problem it changes color from amber to red and we get notifications via email and SMS, so we're immediately aware if something is going wrong.

There is a mobile app which we want because today most of our field engineers are not always in the office. It's all today portal-based which is a good feature for us.

What needs improvement?

There are a lot of expectations if you compare this product with other solutions like  SolarWinds, for example. That is a very advanced tools, and it's not fair to set that expectation on the smaller solutions designed for a specific purpose. I think this tool is fit for purpose and we're able to achieve what we want so we don't have any specific requirements from this tool.

I've been using this solution for over three years.

It's a stable solution.

It's a scalable solution.

Technical support has been fine.

Initial setup was done by my network team and I believe it was relatively simple. We have around five people who use this product and it's used on an occasional basis.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is to make sure that you are clear about your requirements rather than going for a solution-based approach. You should know your needs and what you're looking for. There are thousands of product offers on the market which can do network monitoring but it should start with your needs.

I would rate this product an eight out of 10.