Hortonworks Data Platform Review

A modeling and analysis data platform that is inexpensive and stable

What is our primary use case?

We use Hortonworks as a storage platform and then we create machine learning models and do the execution using Cloudera Data Science Workbench. (Cloudera and Hortonworks merged in January of 2019.)

What is most valuable?

The most valuable part of this product is what Cloudera Data Science Workbench can do as a whole for modeling and analysis.

What needs improvement?

We are happy with the platform but we are also looking at what else is out there. We are comparing what other teams are using in our company to the solution we have adopted.

The main difference, and what seems better with other tools, is the deployment. That part is not entirely clear to us. We can create models, but once we create the models we are not sure as to how to deploy them.

The version control of the software is also an issue.

Maybe these improvements are already included in the newest release but we are not aware of it because nobody on our team has had the opportunity to try it. I do not know how well this product is supported.

We have been using Hortonworks Data Platform for almost a year.

We do not maintain it in our department. We just use it. It has been mostly available other than when they had to upgrade. The IT department did run into some upgrade issues. But as users, it has been stable for us.

We expect to have a lot more data. The scalability is the key reason why we are on this platform.

My IT team is the user group when it comes to installation and setup. They are the ones who do the product installation and management.

I think it is priced well and it is affordable. Hadoop, which we use with the solution, is open-source. That part is free. We pay only for whatever wrappers Cloudera provides on top of the open-source product, Hadoop. I do not know about the actual pricing in total. The whole point of Hadoop is that it is open-source and they have created their own cluster. Cloudera is just the vendor that they are using.

My guess is Hortonworks should not be expensive at all to those looking into using it.

What other advice do I have?

It is important to note that the IT team has to support the product. We are not the IT team so if we have to scale it, someone has to be able to do that administrative job of adding another server and managing the distribution of the data across all the servers. To work with this, you need to have that skill set within the IT department.

On a scale from one to ten (where one is the worst and ten is the best), I would rate Hortonworks Data Platform as an eight or nine out-of-ten. It is meeting a need.

More Hortonworks Data Platform reviews from users