Hortonworks Data Platform Review

It's increased the amount of data that we store from sensor data and weblogs, which gives us a greater scope of data to analyze. However, I'd like to see an increase in usability for Apache Storm.

Valuable Features

The HDFS (Java-based file system) and Hive Utilities are proving to be most useful.

Improvements to My Organization

Hortonworks has allowed my organization to increase the amount of data that we regularly store from sensor data and weblogs, which in turn gives us a greater scope of data to analyze.

Room for Improvement

I would like to see an increase in usability for the Apache Storm engine within the data platform.

Use of Solution

I have been using it for less than a year.

When initializing our cluster, we did not allocate enough space to our VAR partition and that ended up causing some issues with the networking to our onsite Tomcat server.

It's fairly low customer service.

It's fairly low technical support.

We started off with this product.

Both straightforward and complex, everything was easy to set up, but a lot of the behind the scenes configuration changes for customization could be rather time consuming.

Implementation Team

We used an in-house team. My advice is to study hard and read all the documentation thoroughly before starting any implementation. It is paramount that one understands the system before implementing it.

ROI

Current ROI is none as we are still in the POC phase with most of our products.

Other Advice

Be sure that the product is necessary for the situation.