Hortonworks Data Platform Review

We are capable of processing various data science tasks, e.g. natural language processing or log processing.

What is most valuable?

• Open-source
  • Big community

How has it helped my organization?

It is a different paradigm than standard relational databases. We can also process different tasks then just those related to the standard database world. That said, we are capable of processing various data science tasks, e.g. natural language processing or log processing.

What needs improvement?

• Stability
  • It needs to be more mature
  • Security
  • User friendliness

I've used it for three years alongside MapR and Cloudera.

Almost every part of the Hadoop ecosystem has its problems and bugs.

The paid service is pretty good, but if you don't pay, there is documentation available in the community which is pretty good.

I slightly experienced Cloudera which is very similar to Hortonworks, but there are parts which are not open source. I'm working more with Hortnoworks because all its parts are open source. and my company has a longer partnership with Hortnoworks

It is easy if you have good administrators. It is also easy if you want to just play with it on your laptop. For real work and stability, I definitely recommend some paid support.

I was involved in multiple projects. Usually, it was done in-house with paid support.

Every project is different. Since Hadoop is an infrastructure for a long period there is no simple ROI. Also, each customer has different expectations.

**Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We have a partnership with all major Hadoop vendors.