Hortonworks Data Platform Review

The Ambari UI is valuable for cluster monitoring, but there are certain features that need tuning, such as the Hue UI.

What is most valuable?

From a product standpoint, their Ambari UI is incredibly valuable for cluster monitoring. It simplifies the deployment and maintenance of hosts, and we can provision, configure and test Hadoop services.

How has it helped my organization?

From an overall perspective, Hortonworks support is crucial to our operations.

What needs improvement?

As this is open source, there are certain features that need tuning, such as the Hue UI. More stability on this would be helpful.

I've used it for one year.

As this is all new technology, we face issues at every level. However, hardware support and documentation have been instrumental in helping us resolve the majority of those issues.

We've had some issues with stability, but hardware support and documentation have helped us resolve most of those.

No issues with scalability.

They have outstanding customer support. Their responses are prompt, and they resolve issues quickly.

I have not used a solution of this nature before.

The set up is straightforward enough, but at every level there are many parameters to be tuned. Ensuring all these parameters are set is the complex part, as poorly set parameters can cause unwanted issues.

We have an in-house team to do implementations. I would advise that all implementations get seen through all the way to having users smoke test applications to ensure correct functionality.

What other advice do I have?

I would suggest that if you are implementing this at an enterprise level, the support is compulsory. Additionally having a high degree of patience is key, as this is open source and road bumps can be frequent when moving at a fast pace.

More Hortonworks Data Platform reviews from users