Hortonworks Data Platform Review

It is improving rapidly, but like other flavors of Hadoop there is room for improvement.

What is most valuable?

• Ambari
  • Hive
  • Sqoop
  • Flume
  • Spark

How has it helped my organization?

The Hadoop value proposition is in expanded functionality, linear scalability, and reduced software and infrastructure costs. Hadoop offers several generic frameworks for batch, real-time, and iterative processing, such as map-reduce, spark, and spark streaming. Additionally, these frameworks provide libraries for predictive analytics and machine learning. This type of expanded functionality is not easily achieved on any other single platform.

What needs improvement?

File system to provide indexed access to individual records with in-place update/delete. Also, Security integration through a common interface for authentication, authorization, disk encryption, network encryption, data access layer, data masking, etc.

Hadoop, does not provide improved performance, compared to traditional RDBMS, unless processing batches in the TB-PB range, or if the Hadoop platform has significantly more resources available.

I have implemented various flavors of Hadoop over the past five years, including platform configuration and application development.

Deployment is improving rapidly, but like other flavors of Hadoop there are always issues.

Stability is improving rapidly, but like other flavors of Hadoop there are always issues.

5/10 - Responsive, but like all flavors of Hadoop, there are too many tickets to be reasonably triaged and supported.

I have implemented various flavors of Hadoop such as Hortonworks and Cloudera over the past five years, including platform configuration and application development.

Straightforward once you know what you’re doing.

I work for a vendor team.

ROI is one of the main reasons organization pursue Hadoop. Cost per TB is a compelling factor.

Hadoop is complex. It takes a dedicated approach from individuals with a broad range of technology skills and commitment to overcome challenges that do not normally present themselves in well-established technologies.

What other advice do I have?

**Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We're partners.
More Hortonworks Data Platform reviews from users