Hortonworks Data Platform Review

Provides a complete solution and just one user interface that can manage all the packages

What is our primary use case?

Hortonworks actually provides a complete solution and just one user interface that can manage all the packages. It can monitor all the requirements, all the versions and additionally all the quays and all the hardware-dependent services. What I want is a useful user interface which is the reason why I currently prefer to use Hortonworks.

What is most valuable?

One of the most valuable features is that you can configure your data nodes in the big data. Whatever you want. Normally, for example, if you are testing websites and Hash clouds and other sites, in most of them you must manage more than three or four requirements. For example, you must install each feature, you must compile some additional things, and also you must manage more than three configuration files to enable all the nodes to work together.

In the Hortonworks solution, you just need the service, and you just want to install it once to get started on projects easily. You can just click run and it's already installed and you can create and communicate between your services.

What needs improvement?

I work a lot with banking, IT and communications customers. Hortonworks must improve or must upgrade their services for these sectors.

Each customer has different requirements. From the IT side, someone who has some experience of the cluster, computer clustering, computer networking, different fire defense, for example, it is so important that they have some additional graphics, some additional service reports added to the Hortonworks current user interface, which could provide easy images. Especially if they are using it without any experience first.

I've been using the solution for three years.

The Hortonworks solution is very stable. It works as a production system, without any error, without any downtime. If I have downtime, it is mostly caused by the hardware of the computers.

The solution is very scalable. In our procedure, there are two we are using in production without any downtime. The most important thing is the hardware from the computer cluster. I can work on more than 1,000 servers at the same time. On the communication solution, currently, 50 people use it at the same time.

The initial setup is so easy. You can just watch a video. It's handy. If you have some knowledge of computer networking and computer clusters, it is so easy. Deployment time depends on the project and the project size. Sometimes it takes more than three hours to complete.

The solution is comprehensible but it also depends on the customers and the customer's stability requirements. I know that Hortonworks is stable, but sometimes when you are talking with the customers, they wonder if Hortonworks is free, how can it be enterprise. But I explain that Hortonworks is open-source.

What other advice do I have?

The solution is an open-source project. If you don't want to use their professional support services, you don't pay anything for Hortonworks and its solutions. When you want to call there or use its user interface, it's paid. This is why prefer Hortonworks solutions in my projects.

I would rate this solution 10 out of 10.