ArcSight Review

Valuable Features

The best feature of ArcSight is its flexibility. Almost no other vendor provides such a good framework to collect, parse, and analyze data. Its flexibility is achieved by being easy to use, and at the same time having very sophisticated FlexConnectors. Also, I've found ArcSight's correlation engine to be the most advanced on the market.

Improvements to My Organization

My customers who use ArcSight report that it becomes very useful in incident detection and forensics. It's really sped up disclosure of inappropriate activity in information systems and on the network. Flexible event collection allows getting crucial events from almost every possible source. And correlation abilities are incredible if you know how to cook it.

Room for Improvement

Many competitors are going down the road of combining their products with other security products, such as vulnerability scanning, configuration control etc. HP's position doesn't change in that area as they offer to use their standalone solutions and integrate them in ArcSight. There are no embedded scanners or network forensics. Maybe it's time for HP to rethink that position.

Use of Solution

I've been working with HP ArcSight since 2008. All that time, the product has been growing and evolving, trying to give us more profit and a better experience to old and new customers.

We have had no issues with the deployment.

If you encounter serious performance problems, you didn't size correctly prior to deployment.

The scalability options are pretty good although costly.

Every product has its stability bugs, and ArcSight is not an exception, though I haven't found anything critical.

I must say that tech support is getting worse and worse every year. Hard cases may "hang" for months. In simple cases, support often demonstrates a lack of deep knowledge. When ArcSight was not HP, its product support was much much better. Even first-line support could help with anything.

As a systems integrator, we constantly evaluate different solutions and deploy not one but many of them. My personal opinion is that a crucial feature for a SIEM system is flexibility. The more you can tune, adjust, and develop the system, you will get more profit from it. If we're talking about SIEM solutions, then no one can offer such flexibility as ArcSight. Splunk maybe, but Splunk is not SIEM, and to get SIEM-like features from it you spend more time and money.

Implementation Team

As a system integrator, I always say that implementation must be done by an experienced team. SIEM solutions are not easy, so if time is important, do not rely on doing it haphazardly.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

We would like it to be cheaper, but the licensing model is pretty simple.

Other Advice

You need to read the documentation - you can then get it fast and working. If you do not read the documentation, you get pain and tears. Look for an experienced team to deploy the solution, or get experience yourself as HP has some good learning courses.

Deep knowledge of the product will come later, but for the correct implementation you need to be prepared. ArcSight has wonderful community, and you can always ask a question or find an interesting use case there. It's a very useful resource indeed, do not hesitate to visit it.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We integrate ArcSight for our customers.