HPE Nimble Storage dHCI Review

Excellent in-line compressions; even API configurations are simple

What is our primary use case?

Our client uses this solution for insurance data. They need high-performance capacity for some specific applications. We are premier partners with Nimble and I am a solutions architect.

What is most valuable?

The in-line compression is awesome as well as the data loop, because we save somewhere around 80 terabytes capacity, but the actual usage was around 15/20 terabytes. Configurations are simple, even the API configurations. Nimble satisfies my requirements which is great.

What needs improvement?

They should include integration to the cloud like S3 bucket or the archiving part. The vehicle would be the backup solution. It would allow us to move some older, rarely used data to cloud.

I've been using the solution for almost a year.

Stability is good. We haven't seen any failures in the past year. It does require manual maintenance.

The solution is scalable, we just have to create the enclosures.

Technical support is good, the moment I logged in and registered it was basically available online and offline, and even the offline process was good.

I previously used Dell EMC VNX 5700. I think Nimble is better because it's a dHCI, hyper-converged box and Dell is not a hyper-converged box. You have your controls and VA is separate.

The initial setup is straightforward and easy to handle, you don't really need to have rocket science knowledge. Deployment takes about an hour and a half provided all information is in place. I deployed myself and we have operations staff to deal with product maintenance. The Nimble guys or the HPE support team works directly with our operations team. We have about six admins and probably around 100 users.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good solution. Definitely from a price perspective it's quite expensive, but looking at the performance and the support system that we have with HPE Nimble, it's really good. I would recommend it.

I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.

More HPE Nimble Storage dHCI reviews from users
...who compared it with VMware vSAN
Find out what your peers are saying about Hewlett Packard Enterprise, Dell EMC, Nutanix and others in Hyper-Converged (HCI). Updated: September 2021.
534,468 professionals have used our research since 2012.