HPE Proliant ML Review

Easy to set up and use, with technical support that is both good and readily available

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use these as file servers. Rarely, we use them for applications.

We are in a physical environment. We have a head office that is based in Saudi Arabia, as well as a second one.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the technical support, which is both good and available easily.

What needs improvement?

I think that the RAID support can be improved because it is not very effective compared to the DL series. Generally, scalability can be improved.

I would like to see a centralized monitoring system for the ML series, where we can see all of them in one place. Something like InfoSight would work well.

We have bee using the Proliant series for about 12 years, since perhaps 2008. We used to buy a new one every three to four years.

These servers are stable and we have never had an issue.

The Proliant ML is not very scalable because we can hardly increase the memory. The RAID support is also much less than what you get with the DL series.

We have between 10 and 15 Proliant servers and hundreds of users.

HPE support is both good and easy to find, especially compared to competitors.

There are two or three local partners in this area and they're good.

We are also using the DL series. We primarily use these, as opposed to the ML series. The DL is better, for sure, because it's a little more high-end.

The initial setup is simple and there is nothing complicated about it. You really just have to turn it on because it's just the backend. After that, it depends on your software and what you're going to install, but it's open and ready to use.

Our in-house team implemented and deployed our servers. We have a service maintenance team of between three and five people, and we also have partners.

If there is maintenance that needs to be done and it is an issue under warranty then they will come and fix it, or sometimes give us a replacement. All of the other things are done here.

The ML series is cheaper than other products, and everything is included with the standard licensing fees.

What other advice do I have?

This is a product that I would certainly recommend because they are the easiest and simplest form of servers available here in the market. It's easy to use for any purpose.

I would rate this solution and eight out of ten.

ML150, ML350 (Gen8)