IBM ILOG CPLEX Optimization Studio Review

When you do large problems, that's when you see that it's fast

What is our primary use case?

I've used it for optimization of linear models and, from what I've seen, it varies the speed compared to other libraries.

What is most valuable?

The Speed. When you do large problems, that's when you see that it's fast. With other tools, solving large problems can take way longer. It is better to have the resource faster.

There are also many APIs to connect to it.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see something more for problems that are not linear. That is what I am looking for. Conic problems, and stuff like that. Though maybe CPLEX has it already and I haven't seen it.

From what I've experienced, it doesn't crash that much. There have been a few crashes but compared to the other tools, it is better.

I haven't used the technical support.

When I scaled the problem and it didn't solve as soon as I did it, it was taking too long, people told me, "Try CPLEX."

What other advice do I have?

When it comes to choosing a vendor I look for people who have had a similar problem as me and I ask them how they solved it. If they tell me CPLEX then I go to CPLEX, and if they tell me something else then I go there.

I have only used CPLEX for a few specific cases so I feel it would be unfair to evaluate it without really seeings all of the things that it is capable of doing. But I would recommend it to others who are considering implementing CPLEX. There is a lot of material online of people solving problems with CPLEX, which is also super helpful.