IBM ILOG CPLEX Optimization Studio Review

It is easy to use and has large application areas for optimization problems

What is our primary use case?

I used CPLEX for optimization while working on my PhD thesis, as well as for writing papers. As to how it performed, sometimes CPLEX solved the cases better than me and sometimes I solved the cases better than CPLEX.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to use and has very large application areas for optimization problems for networks in teacher optimizations. There is also a lot of documentation available online, which is very helpful when I'm searching for information on how to do something in CPLEX. There is a very large community of people that use CPLEX.

How has it helped my organization?

I consider CPLEX to be a state-of-the-art tool and I can't compare the power of my algorithms with CPLEX and the impact that it has had on my PhD thesis.

What needs improvement?

Actually, when CPLEX adds something it becomes more difficult for me to publish a paper. Maybe CPLEX can sleep a little bit and not make any improvements for a while.

It is stable, though, in one case I noticed that the dual values of the decision variables were not in the correct order. But I managed to find the correct way of presenting that situation and I selected it.

I did write to IBM once about an issue related to cogeneration. They responded very quickly and were able to help me.

No, I didn't try any other programs but I heard about them from my friends who are using these kind of optimization programs.

What other advice do I have?

When choosing to use CPLEX it was important to me that there were a lot of other people who were also using it and knew about it, which is how I knew that it is a good program.

I would certainly recommend CPLEX to a friend or a colleague.

More IBM ILOG CPLEX Optimization Studio reviews from users