IBM InfoSphere BigInsights Review

The BIQSQL implementation is fully SQL ANSI compliant, but I have found a lot of issues in Fluid Query.

What is most valuable?

The things that I have found of value are those that make database management easier to deal with. I have been using Netezza and Oracle DBA for several years so the big data is a bit of a mind shift for me. The thing that I have found most valuable in this solution is the BIQSQL implementation which is fully SQL ANSI compliant. No retraining is required on the SQL front.

How has it helped my organization?

The customer that I am working with has had a portion of the database that they will be shifting from Netezza to BigInsights. This will remove all of the queries and overhead on Netezza around those tables. This will be a big improvement and will allow the organization to deal with backup/recovery better as it decreases the size of the Netezza database.

What needs improvement?

I have found a lot of issues in Fluid Query and BigInsights Applications to move data in the enterprise version. I have several tickets on these with IBM as they need to be addressed to have a solid implementation. Fortunately none of these are stopping the implementation of BigInsights.

Ambari integration with GPFS monitoring is non-existant. We had network issues which caused GPFS to require recovery. We had no notice from Ambari.

MTR for GPFS took several days with only 30% of space in use. In order for this to be more production ready IBM needs to make this better. Way too long.

I have been using BigInsights for six months now. I have had training on it using the VM about three months ago. This implementation uses GPFS instead of HPFS. This is IBM’s answer to a more stable and fault tolerant file system.

No issues encountered.

No issues encountered.

None

Ticket resolution has been very slow and support is confused on how to resolve some interface issues.

We had some tables previously in Netezza. We are moving some out to decrease the overhead and overall space consumption.

The implementation was done and coordinated by Sirius/Brightlight Consulting.

If you are getting BigInsights definitely get BIGSQL option as it is worth it.