IBM InfoSphere BigInsights Review

Valuable Features

BigSQL – implementation of DB2 Database Partitioning Feature on HDFS cluster – in conjunction with IBM Fluid Query for Netezza.

Improvements to My Organization

It gives us the option of extending our analytics system. Now, a customer can move part of their data from Netezza into a Hadoop cluster. What's more, they can run algorithms directly on HDFS using R.

Room for Improvement

Installation process should be improved for IBM ValueAdd components, especially scripts for R/BigR installation. They could add Hue and Ranger to the set of services.

Use of Solution

I've used it for three months.

Deployment of BigR is problematic as the services have to be installed on whole clusters. Some elements are not clearly described in documentation, and they are split into a few topics in InfoCenter.

Great. We have direct support from IBM Poland pre-sales and lab teams.

I have implemented integration processes on HortonWorks and Cloudera. The product was chosen by our customer due to Fluid Query implementation.

Initial setup is rather complex in comparison with Cloudera.

Implementation Team

I have implemented the cluster for our customer with IBM support.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

IBM provides a PVU model for licensing. What is more, a five-node cluster is added for various products such as IBM Information Server.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We're a business partner.
3 Comments
Business Unit technical Lead at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employeesReal User

Marcin,

Just started working with 2 people from that Poland group. I agree they are really a giant help! Wish I could have had access earlier. On the BigR we had to install ours as well. It was fairly complex and install process was poorly documented. BigInsights SQL implementation is fairly good. So far the only thing I found was CTAS doesn't work exactly the same as other db's. On the Fluid Query we have been using this as well. Have you used both data mover and query feature ? Which do you like better Sqoop or data mover ? Great post.

21 December 15
Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employeesReal UserTOP 5

Currently we have used only Query feature. In future we would like to configure also move feature - then I could compare it to Sqoop.

28 December 15

Data mover has some advantage over Sqoop in that it can be invoked from either Netezza or Hadoop side. On the Hadoop side I prefer Sqoop over Data mover in that I can control everything from the command line. Data mover requires a change to XML file every time you want a new table.

28 December 15