IBM PurePower System Review

Easy to work on and has never had any glitches or issues

What is our primary use case?

We use this program for our Oracle platforms because all our Oracle databases are in IX. Our big application is the Oracle E-Business Suite, which we use for our financial situation and everything else.

What is most valuable?

I am very impressed by the stability of the program. We never have any issues or glitches. It works 100% all the time.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see an improvement in the management of the solution. The management is really difficult when it comes to systems with traditional services. It is much faster if we manage everything in our infrastructure. So, today we are looking for a smart solution with AI, for example, to get the maximum automation. That is why we choose the converged system or a hyper-converged system. And, of course, we are willing to try some software-defined networks for the data center, App Dynamics, for monitoring application.

We have been using IBM PurePower System for more than 15 years. We use it on a daily basis - 24/7.

The program's stability is one of the reasons why I like this program. It is a 100% stable program.

This program is very scalable, as long as the server has space to add three GPUs or RAM. If the server is full, you must add another server and add the software, which is a little complicated. So, I would say it is very scalable, as long as you have the means and the knowledge to do it.

We have around 500 end-users in our company. They are IT admin's, city managers, and mostly architects.

We never contact support directly. Our integrator deals with the support, so he goes to IBM support whenever there is an issue.

We haven't tried any other converse systems recently, because we didn't have any IBM tools. So we were using our own development tools. That is why we were seeking for some big applications or some big tools, to make it easier to administrate and exploit our systems.

The initial setup was straightforward and we did the installation ourselves. The deployment took us about a year, and for that we used an integrator to help us.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others would be the following: if you have a traditional application, like core banking, or transactional, or something that has to do with money, it is better to go with IBM. The reason I'm saying this is because it is more stable and easier to monitor. But if you are looking for the newest architecture of the application cloud, you should go with either hyper-converged or converged.

I would like to see better management and high availability in the next release of this program. With classical architectural systems, it's more delicate and difficult to have a high availability of systems. But with hyper-converged systems, we can have it in the easiest way.

On a scale from one to ten, I will rate this program an eight.

Find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Dell EMC, Oracle and others in Converged Infrastructure. Updated: January 2021.
464,594 professionals have used our research since 2012.