IBM Rational Build Forge Review

Great reporting features and very functional

What is our primary use case?

We use the execution records and the execution of the build for the source. I use Eclipse to build it out and tie into the execution. I'm a CRM program release manager and we are customers of IBM.

What is most valuable?

The features are all very functional but I guess the reporting features of this solution are very good. I utilized the reporting features and a number of documents, as well as statuses. It's a functional tool to be able to manage the life cycle.

What needs improvement?

The solution could be more user friendly. Trying to train somebody on it can be difficult. If you're in this field, you kind of learn the tools, but trying to show a PM how to find report sheets to pull data was difficult. I had to show them how to write the queries and pull the data that they needed. It's not a layman's solution. If you're working with a programmer or with an architect, you won't have issues trying to relay how to utilize the tool. It was for those who cut the checks where there were problems enabling them to pull the data they required. I guess the answer is DevOps, but it depends on your environment. Just being able to sign into dashboards and get accurate results was my biggest thing with my PMs on my projects. They like charts and pie graphs, the ability to see things at a glance data where they could make decisions on the fly.

I've been using this solution for a year and a half.

It's a stable solution - no bugs or errors with it.

The solution is scalable. It was pretty much just plug and play. When we did an instalment, if there were bugs, it was more because of us than the code.

We never used the customer service agents. We had an in-house Rational tools team that we went to for any issues.

The initial setup was straightforward. I just put it on my C drive and attached it to the server.

What other advice do I have?

It depends on your budget. It's kind of a costly tool because it plugs into IBM Rational which is pretty expensive. It depends on the market you're actually working in. You need to do your research. I like the solution a lot, I'm kind of upset that we're moving away from it.

I would rate this solution a 10 out of 10.