IBM Spectrum Computing Review

Can be used to backup our data, but the deduplication does not work and it should support different algorithms

What is our primary use case?

We use this product to back up our data.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the backup capability.

What needs improvement?

We are not fully satisfied with this product at the moment because we are having issues with reliability.

We have not been able to use deduplication.

I cannot use any protocol other than VTL. We have VTL hardware that has some additional functions there are not supported by the VTL protocol. Also, VTL is a little bit slow. For example, we use a VTL from EMC and they use another protocol for the copying. At this moment, TSM will not use a protocol that is different from IBM.

We have been using IBM Spectrum Computing for approximately 15 years.

We did not work with a similar solution before this one. However, we are switching away from this product and going to use EMC Data Protect because, from our point of view, it is more functional than TSM. We also use EMC products in our infrastructure.

EMC Data Protect uses a faster protocol and it is simpler to use.

VTL is an emulation of tape but for us, at this moment, it is not so useful because we have hardware that supports another, faster protocol.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

More IBM Spectrum Computing reviews from users
...who compared it with Nutanix Calm
Find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Cloudera, Hewlett Packard Enterprise and others in Hadoop. Updated: July 2021.
521,189 professionals have used our research since 2012.