IBM Streams Review

We have top-tier hospitals using it for healthcare analytics. The price needs to improve.

What is most valuable?

The scalability and user experience are the most valuable features for us. We have top-tier hospitals using IBM Streams for healthcare analytics.

How has it helped my organization?

The OEM Solution (Excel-medical.com) running on top of IBM Steams provides real-time clinical algorithms that can give better insight into the patient's acuity, thus cutting off time to discharge patients and inversely making sure that sick patients don't get discharged until ready.

What needs improvement?

The price and versatility of this product need to improve - it is not inexpensive.

Its a very elaborate product - we have a 10 seat installation in Singapore- but it cost $1M and was missing the ability to program in Python.

This was highlighted by the fact that Vibhore, their lead engineer left to start Unscrambl, which does have the ability to program in Python, as well as provides a user interface that allows building Boolean search strings - and costs 1/2 or less.

I have used this solution for five years.

There are no stability issues.

There are no scalability issues.

I would rate the technical support a 8/10.

Setup was straightforward.

It is a tad expensive, however, they have fairly deep experience with the healthcare application and work closely with the vendor to provide forward leaning technology.

What other advice do I have?

Try the demo version that is available online to see if this is the right fit for you or not.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are an IBM Streams partner for healthcare.