Jakarta EE Review

A greatly improved product with versatility in software development options

What is our primary use case?

There are seven of us on my team and we all use Eclipse with the same spec of plugins. We're a customer of Jakarta.

What is most valuable?

I like the work space of the application, specifically the feature that allows us to have a different work space based on the kind of application that we are using. I think the project Explorer is also very useful, and the usability of the application is also very good. It's improved in the last two or three years, previously it was more difficult to use. Eclipse is now on a good track and they have a very good interface.

What needs improvement?

There could be some improvement on the interface. I think all the customization and all the plugins we can instal make the interface too slow and heavy in some situations. It would be helpful if Eclipse would provide guidelines as to how we should deal with this, although it's much better than it was six or seven years ago.

Additional features that would be helpful would be the integration with the new Java frameworks, like Angular, which should already be integrated in the product because I think the Java and JavaScript developers are moving to Angular. I believe the integration inside the ID should be brought into the product.

I've been using this solution for about 12 or 13 years.

In the last few years, the stability has greatly improved. Right now, I have no complaints about it. For me, right now, it's very stable and I have no problems with it.

I haven't contacted customer support directly because there's always someone via the internet who can solve any problems or difficulties. If I were to use the Eclipse support it would be directly using an online forum or the Eclipse community, but I've never made contact by phone.

I initially used Netbeans because it's a good solution but there were some problems there about ten years ago and we moved.

Initial setup was fairly straightforward. We have a spec of tools and applications that we use on top of the default installation of Eclipse. And because of that, and using them for so many years, we already know the steps and the sequence for installation. Right now, it's very simple to install into the end setup for the tools that we use.

We carry out the deployment ourselves, even using the external web server, the JBoss WildFly, the integration is very good to use inside Eclipse.

What other advice do I have?

There are some good tutorials on YouTube that the Eclipse team has provided and I think it's a good way to get started.

I would rate this product a nine out of 10.