Juniper Enterprise Routers Review

Suitable for an ISP environment that is starting small with plans to expand

What is our primary use case?

The Juniper Enterprise Routers are being used in a purely ISP deployment. We are a carrier, and most of our customers are smaller ISPs.

We have several use cases include firewall restrictions for internal and external access, distribution switches, and the edge routers. The MX104 units are usually used for distribution.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature on the EX switches is qinq support, and on the SRX it is the firewall capabilities. These are the two that have been very helpful.

On the SRX, the firewall is very easy to configure, especially when you want to filter out traffic.

What needs improvement?

Most IT equipment now has graphical interfaces, and there is a need for the Juniper routers to have a more intuitive web interface.

In the future, because everything now is going cloud, any features that support or improve cloud services would be much appreciated.

I have been using Juniper Enterprise Routers for close to three years.

We have only had one problem, which we haven't sorted out because of other, internal issues. We had a bug with an MX104 that we tried to deploy and it kept crashing. It hasn't been solved as of yet.

When it comes to scalability, the MX104 and the EX switches are easy. However, the SRX500 model is very hard to scale.

I'm not sure how many users that our clients have, but in our group, we all use the Juniper devices.

The technical support is very good and the documentation on the website is very accessible. Some of the deployments that we have done were made very easy because of access to this information. Without the vendor's help, we could have had difficulties during some of the deployments that we've done.

I am not aware of any other solutions that we have used.

The initial setup is not complex for me because I have a Cisco background, and it did not take long to get used to Juniper. If somebody has worked with Linux or Unix then the hierarchy is not that different.

I would say that if somebody is coming from a background of Cisco and a bit of Linux, they won't have any problem. However, for people that I've seen who don't have a pure IT background, they have difficulties getting used to it.

I have deployed several of the routers on my own.

What other advice do I have?

From my experience in the ISP world, I think that Juniper Enterprise Routers are very good products. I would recommend this solution for anybody who is looking to start small and scale up because I think that you can easily do that using Juniper products.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.