Juniper SRX Review
Zones make it easy to logically organize security polices

Improvements to My Organization

Thanks to the well-structured and organized security policies, we decreased operations time to create/update/delete our security policies.

Valuable Features

Security policies in combination with zones: It is very easy to organize the security polices in a logical structure.

CLI: Junos CLI is very easy to use, and it is also very easy to find back items in the configuration and to change them.

Commit: You can update the whole configuration without affecting the production. The new configuration will be loaded once the command "Commit" is submitted. You can also do a Commit confirmed to automatically roll back to the previous config after X minutes.

Room for Improvement

The visibility/reporting could be better. To see something, you have to export the log to a syslog and then process with another product.

Use of Solution

More than five years.

We have used it for years without any stability issues.

We haven't encountered scalability issues.

Technical support is pretty good. I would rate it eight out of 10.

I previously used a Netscreen ISG1000 firewall. I switched because the ISG was end-of-life and Netscreen was bought by Juniper.

Initial setup was complex because Junos is totally different than ScreenOS. But with some introductory courses and some googling it becomes much easier.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

I’m just the tech, I didn’t take part in the price negotiation. I would say about $20,000 for a SRX650 with IDP licence.

Other Solutions Considered

No, we didn't evaluate other options. This was a natural way for us to migrate from ISG to SRX.

Other Advice

Be sure you know what you are looking for. The SRX650 is a perfect product for a small datacenter, not for a branch office where you need lots of visibility.

Implement your structure (zones) first, on paper, before starting to configure it.