Juniper SRX Review

A Competitively Priced Network and Cybersecurity Solution

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is consultation and deployment of the solution. We operate as a Juniper Elite Partner. Our customers, large enterprises, want to prevent network failure and downtime.

What needs improvement?

Improvements can be made to the GUI. The GUI can be improved by creating policies to handle IPS requirements. The configuration should be a one-step process. This would make it easier to complete the setup to register the time of operation.

Three to five years.

Yes, it's very stable.

It's scalable. Juniper Select has a solution to boot in high availability technology. We use the Juniper Select from low-end and high-end. In my position as a Senior Network Security Engineer, I handle the high-end suite of Juniper Select 5K.

Currently, the solution is being used every day. We have plans to increase usage in the future.

Technical support is good. They seem to understand our customer's requirements. When they troubleshoot or support our customers, they seem to know what they are doing. They seem to be very helpful. But customers need support right away, and this has been an issue. It can take two to three days to get help some times just because of the volume of ticket request.

Previously we used a CISCO ASA solution. But in the last three years, we switched to the Juniper solution because Juniper has a competitive price per feature.

The initial setup was complex. It took a group of five, engineers and architects, to get it up and running within 24-hours. And it takes a group of five, engineers and IT experts, to operate and maintain

Licensing which covers maintenance is on an annual basis. Our customers are on one-year contracts. There are additional cost above and beyond the standard licensing fees.

Before choosing Juniper, we evaluated a Fortinet solution because Fortinet has a competitive price. It's also effortless for our engineers to operate and maintain. They can understand and complete tasks quickly.

What other advice do I have?

Further advice regarding this solution is that anyone planning to implement this product should understand the Juniper suite. They should understand the firewall concept, Juniper configuration, and the command line. They need previous experience with Juniper products.

On a scale from one to ten, one being the worst and ten being the best I'd give Juniper SRX an overall rating of eight because of its' competitive price. But it's a very complex product compared with other similar products.