Junos Space Network Director Review

Central management with a single pane of glass, but they need to keep developing it

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the management from a single pane of glass.

What needs improvement?

I think that the best thing is that they should keep working on Space. I feel like it's been taking a back burner to other things, and I think that they're trying to go different routes. Ideally, I would like to see Space created to fully functional, where it's got multiple modules, particularly SD-WAN working on Corporate, or maybe become part of the Orchestrator portion. Or, we could see it potentially go out and embed itself into some of the other services that they have to offer.

I have been working with Junos Space since its inception in approximately 2014.

Junos Space creates one pane of glass managing your switching, routing, and security infrastructure as long as you have the modules for it. Space is all about the modules that you import into it.

The modules include Security Director, Network Director, and ServiceNow.

The installation of Space has improved over the years.

The pricing of Juniper's products is always in the middle-range. Typically, Juniper is more expensive than Cisco in initial costs, but overall, the long-term licensing fees that you're going to pay for Juniper versus Cisco is going to be less. Ultimately, the total cost of ownership is less.

What other advice do I have?

ServiceNow integration is really interesting because it generates tickets for you under J Tech. It creates a service portal that you can integrate problems before you might even know what's happening, direct to J Tech. This is nice.

Security Director has made great strides. With SRX models, in particular, a lot of the complaints at Alman have been their web interfaces, which they're redesigning. This is something that may be complete by now. Space got the first iteration and they were able to solidify that. SRX devices can be a pain to manage because just like any other firewall, they can have hundreds of thousands of rules. You've got different layers of those rules. You can have layer seven or layer four and they can all be put in different places. This is what makes having that one pane of glass paramount, especially for a large firewall deployment in the SRX line.

Space is only as good as how you get it to work with your environment. I've had clients who buy Space, implement it, think that they've got it installed, and then they don't use it at all. You want to make sure that you have it installed correctly and you have your devices imported efficiently, and you utilize Juniper's services or utilize a third party.

Even if you just want to install it, I would at least have them come in and validate the installation to make sure that you're utilizing it to its best of its potential.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

More Junos Space Network Director reviews from users
...who compared it with Huawei eSight
Find out what your peers are saying about Juniper, Cisco, Fortinet and others in Network Management Applications. Updated: July 2021.
523,372 professionals have used our research since 2012.