Kaminario K2 Review

We're using it for our continuous-build system. With a lot of the same systems with the same information, data de-dupe is huge.

What is most valuable?

The speed is the most valuable feature; the speed and, for us in particular in what we're doing, the data de-duplication. We're using this for our continuous-build system. We just have a lot of the same systems that have the same information on them; while they get built, de-dup's huge.

We trialed POCs starting in November of last year (2015). We purchased in January of this year. We've been going now for nine months in production, and three months prior to that as a trial of the hardware.

It has been absolutely and consistently stable. I don't believe we've had any down time since installing it.

It will meet our needs going forward. We haven't scaled past a single unit yet, but based off of everything I hear, I can get another one and just plug it in the back and it scales as much as we want to do.

Technical support is absolutely great. We ran into an issue due to some improper network configuration on our side when we PoC'd it. We actually had an engineer come on line, write up a little bit of firmware to fix it in Kaminario, and push it out to our box, which allowed us to use our badly configured network at the time. It's been great.

The setup was extremely straightforward. A tech came out and racked the box, but we could have handled racking it as well. The tech came out, racked the box, plugged it in, and we were up and running in about 15 minutes.

We absolutely were considering other solutions at the time. We trialed a couple different options from EMC and NetApp.

What other advice do I have?

If you’re looking for an all-flash-based solution, I would absolutely recommend a Kaminario K2 system.