Kaminario K2 Review

We can now complete all heavy tasks without any impact on the production traffic

What is our primary use case?

production real time environments in 3 data centers

Miami, London and Frankfurt

About 4500 virtual machines

How has it helped my organization?

We used to be work with EMC solutions VNX and VMAX, which were very costly, hard to maintain, and no matter how many upgrades we did every year, it was always a bottleneck and the first place to look during an operational issue.

After we upgraded, I don't remember anyone in the company coming to check if the problem was with the storage and all the DB transactions that caused downtime in the past are now a daily event without anyone noticing.

What is most valuable?

• Inline deduplication
  • Inline compression
  • Scale in and out
  • Easy operation
  • Extremity low latency
  • Stability

I can sleep at night.

What needs improvement?

The change resolved many coding issues that we had which required a long development process to resolve performance which become not critical - clearing time for new product features.

Dramatic operational relief.

Improved scale and budget planning with flexibility of the solution for budget needs and efficiency for growth with the great optimization ratio due to the nature of our use.

More than five years.

I didn't encounter any stability issues. It actually proved to be very stable and robust, even when one of our DC was suffering power issues due to a faulty UPS. After the power was unstable and the K2 nodes shut down using its own batteries. The reviving process was amazing as we were able to power up over 1000 VM servers with running service in less than two minutes. (The process that took two to three hours with the old storage solution.)

Scalability proved to be very easy as when we decided to add more capacity and more drawers. The process was seamless without any impact on the production traffic.

Very high - boutique level with great personal responses and very quick solutions.

Technical support was amazing as they went the extra mile to get us solutions for migration from complex issues that we had on our old systems, providing hardware, software, and ongoing support until process was completely satisfactory to us.

We used to be an EMC end-to-end solution utilizing VNXs and VMAX.

The solutions were very expensive, hard to maintain (not flexible), and the bottom line is that it didn't provide the required service causing many production issues, not holding the needed load.

The initial setup was complex as we install all our HW remotely and started a migration process from old system that needed additional HW and software provided by the Kaminario team with full support. it took two to three days until we were up and running on the new systems without any interruption to the production traffic

We implemented directly with Kaminario's tech team.

The level of expertise was very high.

We have had ROI in a few areas:

• With operational complexity reduced, operational incidents and troubleshooting don't exist anymore.
  • Service benefit is a huge performance boost. Time to complete tasks have reduced dramatically, and now, we can complete all heavy tasks without any impact on the production traffic.
  • Budget planning is very easy as we closed pricing ahead of all needed future upgrades, but we were surprised as the storage efficiency grows, we add more and more machines and we had savings that we didn't plan on.

The Kaminario setup is simple and there are no hidden licensing fees so this area is a relief.

Yes, i have evaluated and tested both XtremIO and 3Par.

Other solutions were examined, but not tested (Pure, Nimble, IBM, and Hitachi).

3Par is technologically behind, while XtremIO was good but missing only a few areas that affect the efficiency and budget.

What other advice do I have?

I started with Kaminario searching for one solution for all our services from the perspective of looking forward to the best of bread, which will support our huge planned growth, allowing both technical and budget to co-exist peacefully. From my perspective, it is a huge success fulfilling everything we needed and more!