KVM Review

I find the density of the product most valuable.

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case for KVM is running multiple VMs and containers on the one node.

What is most valuable?

I find the density of the product most valuable. It is because of kernel same page merging technology (KSM) that is integrated into Linux kernel. That high density makes KVM one of the important players of the virtualization market.

What needs improvement?

In the future release of KVM, I would like to have improved support for Windows guests.

More than five years.

The stability of this solution is less than other products in the same category. But, it is OK.

The scalability of the product is really high because of architecture. Since KVM is part of a Linux kernel, it gets a lot of the benefits of its location. It has a nice strategy of memory virtualization, which is also part of the kernel. Kernel location makes possible schemes of a vhost that boosts device performance.

We currently have 300 users of KVM, with about two people as support staff. We do plan to increase usage in the future. So, we will be scaling up in the future.

The KVM technical support is really bad. It has a number of empty channels for support. We have tried emails, as well. But, if you are not part of the community, they will not answer your request.

We previously used VMware.

The initial setup was simple because KVM is used in Linux, so to get it out of the box is a simple task. But, the deployment is not an easy task. It takes a lot of installation suites. You could use a lot of additional products or improvements, like Red Hat virtualization that makes deployment of virtual machines simple. But, out of the box deployment is not that good.

This solution came with the Linux license.

1 visitor found this review helpful