Layer7 API Management Review

The solution kits are customizable. We can implement micro-services architecture.

What is most valuable?

Although a lot of features come handy, the most usable feature is that solution kits are customizable. We were able to cater to a large variety of implementation and customizations with ease.

How has it helped my organization?

We have developed frameworks around this product set. It provides the ability to customize and has tremendous depth.

The frameworks are configuration driven, which gives the ability to implement micro-services architecture with ease and provides DevOps agility in terms of continuous deployment, etc.

What needs improvement?

The feature set is quite diverse and community driven, which is a good avenue to promote future features into this product.

The policy manager UI shows signs of aging, but it is not a must.

Policy manager is probably built using Java SWING, it has all the features, but loses some points on the look and feel, compared to some new generation IDEs.

It would be nice to see the PM revamped and some additional features added, such as step debugging for encapsulated assertions etc.

I have been using CA API Management for five years.

We have not had any issues with stability.

We have not had any issues with scalability.

I would give technical support a rating of 10/10.

We did have a previous solution, but the lack of a feature set, only cloud-based implementations, and lack of customizations drove us towards CA.

The setup was very simple and straightforward.

It is definitely competitively priced. Working with your local AM can help you achieve a pricing level that’s suitable to your needs.

It comes with many options, so do discuss your future roadmap with a CA Solution Strategist to advise you on the proper model.

We looked at Apigee, Mashery, IBM, MuleSoft, WSO2, and others.

What other advice do I have?

• The product is feature rich and can solve a myriad of use cases.
  • We have noticed that building frameworks on the product set, with the help of a senior architect who drives the adoption early on, is a key. They can help create reference architecture for your organization that pays dividends in the end.
  • Aim for CA certified resources or partners for a good quality solution.
More Layer7 API Management reviews from users
...who compared it with Apigee
Learn what your peers think about Layer7 API Management. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,535 professionals have used our research since 2012.