Lenovo Blade Servers [EOL] Review

Total redundancy in all its components: power, cooling, communications, fiber, administration and blades. One point of management.

What is most valuable?

The features of this product that I value most are:

• A datacenter in 8U; you can accommodate 14 servers in a BladeCenter H chassis.
  • Total redundancy in all its components: power, cooling, communications, fiber, administration and blades
  • Stacking features, you can configure several BladeCenters to have redundancy
  • Excellent support in case of any failure (and I am not saying this because I worked for IBM)
  • One point of management
  • The ability to combine Intel, AMD, and POWER blades

I have been using, installing, and implementing this solution for eight years.

I had no problems installing the equipment.

So far, I have had no stability problems.

If we talk about scalability, it is quite expensive , especially when you need to buy more blades. It's even more expensive if you configure them for high performance parts.

Exelent

Technical support is excellent.

I had some experience with its direct competitor, the HP Blade line. In my opinion, the HP product has a higher rate of failure than IBM Blades.

Initial setup was not complex at all. The wizard integrated in the administration module (AMM) made things fast and easy.

I implemented the chassis by myself.

My recommendation is to always have your maintenance contract up to date. This product has been on the market for more than 10 years; it is the obvious thing to do.

I try to implement the options of both Cisco and HP, I was convinced the superiority of the IBM proposal

What other advice do I have?

Despite the fact that we are living in the cloud era, in my opinion, we still need hardware in our own datacenters. I believe that the hybrid cloud is the future, and we are going to keep buying hardware adequate for this solution, even more so in third-world countries, where computing power needs are not as big.

In my opinion, modular hardware technology is disappearing. There is a tendency to buy standalone servers that are much cheaper and offer similar or better performance.

IBM replaced the BladeCenter line with the Flex Chassis. However, that Flex system is way more expensive than the BladeCenter, and it doesn’t sell as well as Blades.

My recommendation is, if you have the money and you have significant experience with modular servers, go for the IBM Flex System Chassis.