LoadRunner Review

Good synchronization capabilities but pilot processing needs improvement

What is our primary use case?

The primary use is for load testing and stress testing of applications. It tests whether services are running at an optimal point or not. It can also be used for benchmarking with other industry standards.

How has it helped my organization?

My admin was very useful for finding out how the system responds to load, stress, and normal situations, as well as benchmarking with other industry competitors. It also improved our response time, memory delegation, and CPU delegation. In addition, we used LoadRunner to optimize our database and website.

What is most valuable?

The features that are most valuable are synchronization capabilities and the ability to interact with it on different types of systems and protocols. It is a market leader and it integrates with different applications. When you compare it to JMeter, LoadRunner is more flexible and has more capabilities than JMeter to support different technologies.

What needs improvement?

There is room for improvement of the pilot processing and forwarding results based on the dump analysis. We have a generator, root controller, different agents, and an analyzer, so all of these are very important when it comes to LoadRunner.

LoadRunner also has to create a low-cost version that supports simpler testing and only some of the simple features would be included. This would allow people to use LoadRunner and get support from LoadRunner in terms of application testing. It is a principle that if people will get to use LoadRunner for free, LoadRunner will get more business and major payback.

I would rate it 6 out of 10, because LoadRunner is a vast thing, starting from those scenarios and then getting more into users, putting more points, correlation, load testing, and benchmarking. I have this part and hope it works well with the system. All of this is very complex. It takes a long time to learn the system well.

Four years

The stability of the solution is mostly good. The only thing is that we used a distributor to fix the problems when something went wrong at one point. If it was working out well, the results of that thing would still give you wrong results. So the distributor is not really good with problems, but the local setup is good with no problems.

We can scale it up at any point in time because we can get a distributor. We can add variants, controllers, claims, and analyzers, so it will support different types of protocols.

We just created load scenarios and we will load the scenarios to a number of virtual users. For example, we can load around 1,000 users for each scenario. In abnormal conditions, we could have 10,000 users. Also, loading them depends upon the role alias and role controller's configuration.

The size of staff required for deployment and maintenance depends upon what application and how many load scenarios you want to do, as well as the complexity of your application, how much hardware you have, and how much software support you have. All of those things will come into the picture.

They would be different types of users like a read-only user, a write-only user, etc.

We use JMeter and LoadRunner together: When we're stress testing and for service or load testing we use JMeter, while we use LoadRunner for basic load testing. We keep it like that but we can see how that mitigation works and the application is also for internal users, so we consider what it does there and we can do a lot of those things.

We are not actually concerned with the technical support of the LoadRunner. We get support for the LoadRunner through the internet.

We previously used JMeter.

The initial setup is not that difficult. When it comes to distribution systems then it will be somewhat difficult, and you need to have a proper network to work on. Another consideration is that at the distribution level and onward we need to put different controllers, unions, and claims at different locations to have a product as accurate as this.

The deployment took some time because we needed to know what type of load is expected in the future and what the break-even point would be, at which point of load. We needed to know the different scenarios that were expected and plan the load testing and the load batterings and always stick to the plan. We needed load analysis, a load plan, and benchmarking standards. All of these need to be collected. This equipment needs to be connected before we can actually begin testing.

The deployment takes around one month man days based on the application status.

We used a consultant for deployment.

We did some return on investment analysis, by using the POC (proof of concept). We compared other tools with LoadRunner, JMeter, and LoadRunner and we got a generated a scenario testing based on the place of publication and we determined that LoadRunner is good.

I don't know the licensing cost, but I think that you would get a discount for normal usage. I think there are different yearly options for different types of usage. It is not only how many users, but also whether it is shareable or not and other criteria involved in each feature. There are additional fees for the users and hardware linked to the processing.

We evaluated JMeter and LoadRunner together to form the selection process. For some scenarios we can use LoadRunner for specification road testing, while for other types of testing we prefer JMeter.

What other advice do I have?

When you compare other products to LoadRunner, LoadRunner has been in the market for a long time. You could use it to integrate with everything. Also, it can generate an input that we can use in any version, it can improve our performance, and we can put input in and we get a command from LoadRunner for that.

Learn More about LoadRunner

Fill out the form to view the report