LogPoint Review

It's a product that you can get up and running in a few hours. As it's fairly new, it is swamped with small and fairly large problems.

How has it helped my organization?

It's a product that will get the job done as a simple version of a SIEM or an advanced logger, and the price makes it a very competitive product.

What is most valuable?

LogPoint is a good logger. It's a product that you can get up and running in a few hours. It's fast.

What needs improvement?

As LogPoint is fairly new, it is swamped with small and fairly large problems. Most of these are eventually fixed by patches or by manually editing the system.

Also, they need to listen more to the technical users to evolve this to a real SIEM and not "SIEM but different".

Yes. As the product is fairly new, they do have some problems with stability.

The syslog_collector service needs some work.

The ODBC_Fetcher needs a lot of work and they do have other problems.

This is something that LogPoint is good at. It's very modular so it's very forgiving if you have the need to change something.

This is a HUGE problem. Their customer service is getting better, but sometimes it can take several days before I even got a first reply on a critical error.

As I worked a lot with them and they are not that many, their technical competence and ways to attack a problem differ greatly. A few have a 7/10 skill and some have a 10/10 skill.

There are no levels of support, and if they can't help, R&D had to get involved.

The common thing they all have is a 3/10 English skill and this is a problem. I'm not saying I'm 10/10, but this made it very difficult and there were many misunderstandings.

We used a different solution, and we switched because of the price.

At first glance, LogPoint is easy to set up. But when you lift the hood, this is where problems start and the learning curve is very steep.

I am a certified LogPoint Technical Specialist, and I had help from colleagues who are also certified, LogPoint support, and the local sales engineer.

Price and licensing are very good and simple, but they have been known to change it.

Yes, we evaluated some of the larger SIEM software solutions.

What other advice do I have?

Even if I bash a lot on LogPoint, I must say that it's a "bang for the buck" product. Yes, they do have a lot of problems, they will paint the landscape as the perfect world, and they will say "Yes" to a lot of questions, some of which may work and some of which may not.

If you understand your needs, if you know the size of your wallet, and talk to someone who knows this product and understands its limitations, this can be a good enough solution for you.

1 visitor found this review helpful