Longview CPM Review

The simplicity and customization are the distinct features but the ability to inspect details easily would be nice.

What is most valuable?

Its simplicity and customization are the distinct features.

How has it helped my organization?

Khalix is a simple tool that builds on existing data sources to develop solutions in forecasting, planning and consolidation needs. I've used this tool to build a position reporting system that help traders and managers to make informed decision in risk management. I also developed a dashboard that showed forecast margins and KPIs for operations. It standardized the reports and charts for users across my organization with less effort

What needs improvement?

The link between underlying details, upfront reports, and charts is weak. However, as a simple top end tool, the display details is not its purpose. However, having a way of easily inspecting details would add to its functionality.

I used Khalix (the last version before upgraded to Longview 7) from 2008 to 2014.

The biggest challenge was the data ETL (Extract, Transform and Loading) process. There is fewer built in architecture out-of-box, so I had to build this from scratch. Having some templates out-of-box might reduce the development cycle significantly.

With only 400+ users, we hardly had any stability issues. Most downtime was server related and not specific to the software.

9/10 as they are a very user friendly customer service team and they are always responsive and promoting the exchange of new ideas.

6/10 as the consultant team was not providing us with good practices. For some work, we have had to redo what they have done. Some consultant are more knowledgeable than others.

No previous solution used.

It was a straightforward set up as Khalix is based on eight dimensions. This makes it straightforward when mapping data but there is some complexity when deal with static data.

We worked side-by-side with a vendor team. I'd highly recommend to do it this way for an easier hand-over. As mentioned above, the vendor teams expertise wasn't up to expectations. They didn't provide the best practice at first. We have had to re-work some of the project.

The original cost is set to use enterprise wide but the users growth is too slow to justify the cost. That's one of the reasons we stopped using this tool.

Yes. They're SAP BI and IBM Congros.

What other advice do I have?

Three key elements to consider when adopt this tool:

1. Have a strong database team that build fast and reliable data sources as ETL tools are important
  2. Put together a strong and convincing business case to justify the project. How many users will be benefiting from your project is important
  3. Good training on admin, developer and users to ensure the usage justifies the cost and benefits